Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lime Sugar Cookies with Blanched Almonds

I mostly followed the recipe for Lime Sugar Cookies from our new, Canadian, flexitarian Rebar cookbook.

As this blogger suggested, I doubled the recipe but only increased the flour by one-and-three-quarters.  This was a good idea- 11 cookies would definitely not have been enough.

I used blanched almonds instead of pepitas, since that's what we had on hand.  I also used 1 egg and 1 yolk instead of 2 whole eggs, per Alton Brown's suggestion for chewier cookies.  They were, if I say so myself, excellent.

Notes to self for next time:

  • Make them smaller than the recipe says (2 inches wide before baking)
  • Give them plenty of room to spread out on the pan
  • They're ready to come out of the oven when the tops start to crack, but they still won't look very done
  • Even though it didn't seem possible, the cookies actually taste better than the dough
Serving suggestions 
  • Dessert to accompany Japanese and Mexican food
  • Make into vanilla ice cream sandwiches in the summer
  • Beer-and-cookies theme party



2 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum!!! I especially love the picture where the parchment paper is curling up around the cookie.

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look so freakin' good. As I recall, they also tasted wonderful. Given the close up picture, they remind me of a delicious Death Star with channels leading right to the heart of the deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete